2) Buttermilk in powder form. This has 'so-so' results.
3) Adding vinegar to drinking water. Most dogs dislike the strong taste and this method is not proven to work.
4) Cornstarch applied carefully is said to help but this powder is not recommended...This is because it can cause irritation to the dog's eyes, thus causing more tears, which causes wet hairs, which causes bacterial infection...and the cycle begins all over again.
5) Tums - Too many Tums (or Tums like products) can equal too much calcium. There are options that work better.
6) Milk of Magnesia, corn starch and peroxide (20 volume to 40 volume), using an equal volume of MOM and peroxide, and then use the corn starch to make a good paste of this. This may work for minor to moderate tear staining problems. It is put on and massaged well into the stained area to dry overnight. Wash out and then use a super good conditioner…Condition twice in a row. If you choose this, keep doing this for several days until tear staining is gone, although we would recommend skipping a day or two between applications if possible.
What Does Work
What is the best tear stain product for a Shih Tzu puppy or dog? You may be surprised! We do not recommend the most commonly used one: Angle Eyes. It’s been around for a long time and perhaps due to marketing or the catchy name, it’s the one that many owners rely on. It is a decent product that may lighten the hairs a bit; however, it is not our recommended choice.
When it comes to keeping a Shih Tzu tear stain free, this is no time to be half in the game. Use a great product that can produce quick results so you can clear up the problems and focus on the coat as a whole.
The best product will be one that works in 6 ways:
1- It will be an easy topical solution that is easy to apply.
2- It will have a gentle yet effective cleanser.
3- It will have a gentle yet effective astringent.
4- It will have an herbal antibacterial agent
5- It will be formulated to be safe for dogs of all ages - from young puppies to the senior dog and every age in between.
6- It will have the above tear staining removal benefits without containing bleach, peroxide, or harsh chemicals.
If you would like to see our list of recommended products that are effective and safe, along with reviews, look to 'Grooming' in the Shih Tzu Specialty Shoppe.